The Shopping Center Today
The Cambrian Park Plaza Shopping Center is located at the intersection of Camden Avenue and Union Avenue on approximately 18 acres in San Jose. The property was originally developed in the 1950s and currently includes approximately 171,000 square feet of retail. Major tenants include Dollar Tree, BevMo!, and Round Table Pizza. The center serves over 180,000 people within 3 miles in the San Jose, Los Gatos, and Campbell areas.
Since originally developed, the center has become unattractive to potential new tenants due to its lack of modern function and appearance. Because of its relatively low density, aging infrastructure, and short-term lease arrangements, the property presents a rare opportunity for the local community, City, and property owner to pursue redevelopment of the center into a vibrant mixed-use village.
Planning for the Future
From the start of this redevelopment journey five years ago, our goal has been to create a unique mixed-use village for the Cambrian community that recognizes the history of the center, supports the future needs of residents and businesses in the area, and meets the requirements of the City’s General Plan. Hundreds of neighbors have already expressed support for our mixed-use village plans presented to the community and City over the last few years.
However, we have continued to listen closely to feedback from neighbors throughout this process, carefully considered the conceptual plan they presented, and also followed City design goals provided last year.
Full applications were resubmitted to the City in August 2020 to annex the property into San Jose and redevelop the center as a “Signature Project” within the Cambrian/Hillsdale Urban Village area as a truly mixed-use village which will become the heart of the community. Based on unprecedented community feedback and support with ongoing direction from the City, Kimco Realty has finalized its plan for the future of the shopping center. Public hearings to approve the project are anticipated to begin soon and conclude in 2022.
2015 to 2016
- Weingarten Realty purchases site in summer, 2015 and holds the first community meeting to consider possibility of redevelopment
- Four different redevelopment options are analyzed and reviewed in additional community and neighborhood meetings with stakeholders
- City General Plan five-year review finalized reaffirming urban village planning goals and requirements
2017 to 2018
- Additional community meetings are held and two options are identified for further consideration, a mixed-use village (preferred), and a large regional commercial center (alternative)
- A large public survey conducted with 1,300 participants and 800 comments reflecting strong support for mixed-use village concept
- Preliminary application for first mixed-use plan reviewed by City and community
- Weingarten files the first formal Signature Project Mixed-Use Village rezoning application which initiates the CEQA environmental review process
- Weingarten pauses the application process in late 2018 based on community feedback after conducting additional public meetings
2019 to 2020
- After years of working with the City of San Jose and listening closely to community comments and concerns, Weingarten commits to dramatically re-envision Cambrian Park Plaza Shopping Center’s future
- The City provides Weingarten new design goals and guidelines and neighbors submit a concept plan based on community feedback.
- An innovative new Signature Project for Cambrian is created, and Weingarten files comprehensively updated applications for its mixed-use village.
2021 to 2022
- Cambrian Village design is enhanced and modified three times based on continuing community feedback
- Environmental analysis is conducted by the City to assess potential impacts on the community and any necessary mitigations
- Weingarten becomes Kimco Realty
- Public hearings to consider approval of Cambrian Village are anticipated to begin late in the year and continue into 2022